Donnerstag, 12. Januar 2012

Humbled

Sometimes I get angry with myself.
Sometimes I get angry with friends or family.
Often I get angry with/about my writing.
Why doesn´t this word or that word pop into my mind? Why doesn´t the flow come? Why don´t I feel in the mood?
Today, while shopping at a bakery, I got angry with a mother.
I was just ordering, when her about 6-year-old daughter pushes to the front of the queue and starts explaining what she wants. She touches me, shoves me, invades my space.
I look down and see her age, but think, that really, at least the mother should have some control over a child that age. Also - why doesn´t the mother intervene and pull her back?
I get annoyed, even angry.
And then the child starts insisting on a certain type of donut.
"No, not that one with the chocolate, the one beside it!"
"The one with the sugar," asks the Mum, ignoring the invasion of my space, pointing to the one the daughter means.
"No, that one!" The daughter is still pointing to the same one, with the sugar.
"How annoying." I sigh, inside myself, pulling slightly away.
But I am watching this child.
And the more I watch, the more I see - there is something wrong with this child.
And suddenly I realize: She is mentally and physically disabled, with little spastic movements.
The mother just wanted to give her excitement some room.
Literally.
Not caring if anyone else feels bothered.
I felt humbled.
And ashamed.
I smiled at her, making some room.
I don´t think I made-up for anything. She must have felt my vibes.
But my heart so went-out to this mother.

Maybe we shouldn´t be so angry.
We should cut others and ourselves more slack.

PS: Writing this story made me cry. If I can even vaguely evoke this kind of emotion in others - I will have succeeded in my wríting.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen